Mango ice cream, homemade mango ice cream. It’s one of those musts for summer, a sweet treat to beat the escalating heat. Easy to make, economical and perfect for vegetarians, it’s not exactly Italian-style gelato. But with the freshness of the mangos, the sweetness of condensed milk and some added nuts, this ice-cream dish has a unique flavour not easy to find in Vietnam.
The best part of the recipe is that it can be assembled in minutes — you don’t have to slave for hours. And the beauty of any homemade ice-cream recipe is that you can add anything to it — bananas, strawberries, even rose water and green cardamom. No matter what flavours you choose, you will have a wonderful treat to bite into.
1½ cups of heavy whipping cream
1 cup of fresh ripe mango pulp
200 grams of condensed milk
½ cup of ground pistachio
A few strands of saffron or 2 drops of rosewater
Mint leaves for garnish
1) Mix the heavy whipping cream and condensed milk in a deep bowl and whisk it using a whisk wire or electric hand blender for two minutes. Add the mango pulp to the mixture and again blend it for three minutes. Next add the saffron or drops of rosewater.
2) Now pour the mixture into an air-tight container and place it in the freezer for two to three hours. Once frozen for a couple of hours, you will see the ice cream is still not firm. Add in the dried nuts or pistachio and mix well using a spatula. Adding the nuts in at this stage prevents them from sinking to the bottom of the ice cream.
3) Cover the air-tight container and freeze for six to seven hours.
4) Remove the ice cream from the freezer and leave it to sit for 10 minutes before serving — this will make it easy to spoon and serve.
5) Garnish with mint leaves and relish.